Welcome Message from the
Hello Kodiaks! Well, here we are, just under two weeks until the first day of school. We hope you are enjoying every last minute of these fleeting summer days. This week brings a very important day: Taking Care of Business. Happening on Wednesday, August 22nd from 7:30am–4:00pm, this is a date that should be circled in red on your calendar (or highlighted on your digital one). We will both be present at Taking Care of Business day and look forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new friends. Please stop by the PTSA table while you are at school to pick up valuable information for the upcoming school year and sign up for your 2018-2019 PTSA membership, if you haven’t done so already. PLEASE scroll through this entire newsletter to see events in which our Chinook Staff has asked for parent help. With volunteers, events such as Taking Care of Busines; Schedule, Locker and Laptop distribution run much more smoothly and are less stressful for our students.
Nancy Huenefeld Gese and Rebecca Johnston
22 Wed Taking Care of Business Day (7:30am-4:00pm)
24 Fri 6th Grade Student & Parent Orientation
25 Sat Jubilee Reach Service Day
30 Thu First Day of School 2018-2019 School Year
30 Thu Ice Cream Social (6:30-7:30pm, at Chinook MS)
06 Thu 6th Grade Camp Family Info Night (6:30pm-7:30pm)
13 Thu Curriculum Night
15 Sat Back To School Fair
(10:00am-4:00pm, at Bellevue High School)
27 Thu 2nd Annual Family Fun Potluck & Information Night (6-8pm)
6th Grade Outdoor Environmental Education
(OEE aka “Science Camp”) program
[Tuesday Oct 16th (leave 7am) Friday Oct 19th (back at 4pm)]
Visit our CALENDAR PAGE for the complete Chinook School & PTSA calendar.
Taking Care of Business Day
Wednesday August 22nd
This year, the school has organized arrival times for students and families by last name as follows:
7:30-10:00 (last names A-G)
10:00-12:30 (last names H-P)
1:30-4:00 (last names Q-Z)
Taking Care of Business Day (TCOB) is THE day where you’ll come with your student to pick up their initial schedule, get their locker assignment, pay for a few items, and deposit money in their lunch account. Students will also be able to have their school picture taken. All students are required to have their photo taken for student ID cards (no charge).
If you would like to pre-order your student’s picture package, visit HERE. The access key is: G23A9J9
You will also have the opportunity to gather information about things such as 6th grade camp, our PTSA (Parent, Teacher, Student Association), after school activities and more! Please bring your checkbook and or credit card.
If you would like to join the PTSA now, please click on this LINK. Your PTSA membership must be renewed annually, so any membership prior to this school year has expired.
Taking Care of Business Day will be joined once again this year by Jamba Juice!! They will be selling smoothies for $4 (cash only) for 16 oz., and our PTSA receives 20% from each smoothie sold.
Help Needed at TCOB!!
Wednesday August 22nd
Please help us make Taking Care of Business Day run smoothly. This year, it's on one day for all students (Wednesday, August 22nd) and we need 12 volunteers for each shift throughout the day to help with pictures, schedules and lockers.
Thanks in advance for helping by signing up at this link: Taking Care of Business Day Help
Online Student Data Verification
is now open!
Log into ParentVUE to verify information for your student(s) by Aug. 24. This will ensure that we start the new school year on Aug. 30 with current, accurate and complete data.
Annually, parents and guardians are required to verify their student’s data, but to date this process has always been on paper. Parents and guardians of enrolled BSD students are now able to complete this process electronically via ParentVUE. They can:
You can learn more about Online Student Data Verification from HERE.
Jubilee Service Day at Chinook
August 25, 2018
Jubilee Service Day is an annual event in August which brings together people in the eastside community to serve at local public schools and homes. Started in 2005 with one church serving at one school, this day has grown to involve over 3,000 volunteers, 22 schools and at least 25 homes in August 2018.
Chinook Families can request to help out at our school if you'd like. It is particularly good for incoming 6th graders to connect with the physical school before coming for classes.
For more information, please check HERE.
IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE CHINOOK PTSA!!
THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO MEET NEW PEOPLE AND FEEL CONNECTED TO WHAT’S GOING ON AT SCHOOL.
We have the following Board of Directors positions open:
• Co-VP of Fundraising: We are looking for a volunteer to help direct the PTSA Fundraising programs over the next one to two years. The person would become a Co-VP and “learn by doing” along with the current VP of Fundraising, and ideally running the programs the following year while training a new Co-VP. Duties are generally light, with the primary activities occurring from October to January.
• Co-VP of Communications: Are you tech savvy? Are you good communicating with others? This is a role you can do in your pajamas!
Additional roles are also available!
• Directory Chairperson: Help put together the school directory this year. We are exploring both the online and a paper copy format. We need your ideas and creativity! The bulk of your efforts occur in September and October and once the directory is published – your job is mostly complete!
* If we do not have a directory chair, there will not be a directory this year.
• Hospitality Co-Chair: Help people feel welcome, by attending school events in the morning such as the Principal’s Coffees, etc. Help coordinate the coffee/tea and treats for PTSA related meeting/events.
• Staff Appreciation Co-Chair: Help coordinate the Staff Appreciation events and show our staff know how much we care!
• I-Connect Committee Chairs: Started as a way to bring our international families together, I-Connect has expanded to create opportunities for ALL Chinook parents who want to connect with other parents from our school. Sharing experiences and thoughts in order to build relationships, I-Connect fosters participation and strengthens our Chinook Middle School community. I-Connect organizers will plan monthly discussion meetings with topics that are of interest to Chinook parents and may invite subject matter experts (e.g. principal, counselors, district-level staff, parents). Attendees are encouraged to participate in the discussions at the meetings. Most meetings are typically held monthly at school. Grab a couple of friends and help keep this award-winning program going!
• Help Inform Families about Chinook: Please join the committee to produce brief videos to help parents understand information about our kids' school. Anthony Jonas, an 8th Social Studies teacher, PTSA Board members are organizing to put together some How-To videos for parents/families, such as where and how often to check grades, how to work with teachers when there is a behavior or academic issue in class, how your son/daughter can use their tutorial time, and what to expect as an incoming 6th grade parent/student. This could look like a YouTube series with different teachers and parents addressing those topics. If you are good with videos and video editing and want to help figure out what information families need, be a part of this team which is starting to meet now.
If you’d like to sign up or would like more information, email our Co-Presidents to sign up or to get more information! Nancy Huenefeld Gese email@example.com and
Rebecca Johnston firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule and Locker Help on First Day of School
August 30, 2018
We need 10-16 volunteers to hand out the school schedules and help with lockers on the first day of school- Thursday, August 30th from 7:05am - 8:15am.
Thank you in advance for helping out by signing up at this link: Locker and Schedule Help
Laptop Distribution Help
September 5-6, 2018
Chinook needs your help on Sept 5, 6 and 7 to help distribute laptops.
Volunteering areas includes, but not limited to, bag checkout, charger checkout, and help with any necessary setup and transitions between classes. We're in need of 3 volunteers per shift for each day.
Please sign up at this link and thank you! Laptop Distribution Help
Join our Family Fun Potluck and Information Night Committee!
September 27, 2018
Looking for people to help plan and put on our Fall Potluck in late September. Please contact one of the PTSA Co-Presidents if you are willing to bring your school spirit and help build community for our Second Annual Potluck. Nancy Huenefeld Gese email@example.com and
Rebecca Johnston firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall After School Sports
Volunteer Coaches Needed!
Fall Sports Volunteers Needed!
Cross Country volunteer responsibilities
Soccer volunteer responsibilities
Jorge Moreno-Nunez, Site Coach
email@example.com | (425) 495-2904
Supply List for Fall
You can get the List from HERE. Teachers will notify students of any additional supplies needed for each class.
Donate to Chinook with AmazonSmile - It's Free and Easy to Setup
When you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice.
All you need to do is:
1) Start your shopping each time at smile.amazon.com
2) On your first visit to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), select Chinook Middle School PTSA 2 3 115 as the charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping.
3) Shop as you normally would.
That's it! Just remember that you must start your shopping at smile.amazon.com for your purchase to be eligible for donations.
For more information, visit smile.amazon.com/about
Bellevue Ski School
Who Is Eligible?
Bellevue School District
Middle School Students
6th thru 8th grade
Programs for Everyone!
• Recreational Skiing
• Recreational Snowboarding
• Park and Pipe Program
• Ski Racing
Please save the Important Date
Registration opens October 1!
Here are some useful links:
JOIN CHINOOK PTSA
See the many benefits of joining the PTSA.
Chinook Middle School PTSA * 2001 98th Avenue Northeast, Bellevue, WA 98004 * Contact Us