12th Wed Principal Coffee (Cancelled)
17th - 21st No School: Mid-Winter Break
Visit our CALENDAR PAGE for the complete Chinook School & PTSA calendar.
School Bond Election, Feb 11 – Please Vote!
Provides students high-quality learning spaces by replacing aging school buildings and adding classrooms and student support spaces:
* Replaces Big Picture School, International School and Jing Mei Elementary.
* Builds additions for and renovates Newport and Interlake High Schools.
* Provides modern learning spaces for science, technology, engineering and math classes to prepare students for the future.
* Continues the district’s work to provide modern learning environments so every student can be successful.
Increases safety and security for students and schools.
Adding security vestibules to eight schools that currently do not have them:
* Visitors enter the vestibule before entering the main school area.
* Next, they are required to enter the office to check in before gaining access to the rest of the building.
* The set of doors between the vestibule and the school remain locked and only open out.
Adding safety posts in front of 19 school entrances that do not have them:
* One of the most important areas of a school to protect is the entrance.
* Fitting the entrance and exit points with fixed bollards protects them from potential vehicle impact, protecting students, staff and families inside and around the doorway.
Replaces the aging education service centers:
* Invests in modern facilities to allow central office staff and administrators to better support students, teachers and the community.
* Reduces the costs of maintaining aging buildings and increases building efficiency.
Designates funding to purchase property for future school locations.
* Allows a faster response by the district if appropriate property becomes available.
* Enables the district to plan for the future as our community continues to grow.
What Will the Capital Bond Cost?
* If approved, the local tax rate for our schools increases by $0.03 per $1,000 of assessed value an increase of less than 1 percent.
* For the average valued home of $850,000, a Bellevue resident currently pays $2.43 per $1,000 of assessed property value.
* With the proposed bond, that will increase by 3 cents a year, or $2.46 per $1,000 of assessed property value, or $25.50 per year for the average valued home.
* All voter-approved funding stays in our school district to benefit our Bellevue students. Major construction projects are not funded with state dollars, but instead rely on these funding measures.
For more information about the bond, please visit the https://bsd405.org/2020bond
Parent Registration Night at BHS on February 26th
This is for all families of current 8th through 11th graders who will be attending BHS next fall. The focus for the presentations will be course registration for the 2020-21 school year and will be divided into three parts.
5:30-6:30pm Department Fair in the Commons
Department representatives will be in the commons and have displays and handouts available to parents. Additionally, they will be there to discuss and answer questions about any courses or electives that your student might be interested in.
6:00-6:30pm AVID Presentation in the PAC
This is an optional presentation for parents who would like to learn more information about our AVID program at BHS. It is available to all grade levels.
6:30-7:30pm Grade Level Registration Presentations
Counselors and administrators will present on the registration process, timeline, and best practices. Additionally, they will be available afterwards for a brief Q & A.
Donation is needed - Keuring coffee pods and boxes of tea (bags)
Our school office has run out coffee pods and tea bags. We appreciate donation on those Keuring coffee pods and some tea (bags).
PTSA Enrichment Grants Program
The Chinook Middle School PTSA Enrichment Grants Program provides funding and resources to implement creative ideas and projects designed to enhance classroom curriculum, create new learning opportunities and benefit academic pursuits.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR A GRANT?
Teachers and staff are encouraged to apply.
Applications are available from the PTSA Grants Chair.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE SUBMITTED?
Submit an application for EACH grant.
Detailed information, timeline, and supporting documentation will help the Grants Committee evaluate your proposal.
Be as specific as you can about the cost (including tax, delivery and shipping).
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA USED IN THE EVALUATION?
Key criteria include number of students impacted, program costs, alternative funding sources (Building Fund or BSF), long-term benefits, current funding levels, and department support.
DO I NEED APPROVAL TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION?
Each grant request needs to be signed by your Department Head and the Principal.
(There may be alternative resources available.)
WHERE DO I SUBMIT MY APPLICATION?
Chinook Office Manager.
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
Forms and supporting materials must be turned in by:
Friday, February 7, 2020
WHEN WILL GRANTS BE AWARDED?
Friday, February 14, 2020
You will be notified by email and/or letter.
If you have any questions, contact Grants Chairperson:
Allison Frey: AWFREY@YAHOO.COM
Spring for Schools - Save the date
Chinook PTSA is looking for three PTSA members to form the 2020 Nominating Committee. This position is a short commitment with high importance as you ensure the successful transition and continuity of the Chinook PTSA!
The Nominating Committee’s job is to identify, recruit and then nominate the best qualified candidates for the 2020-2021 school year. The elected positions are President(s), VP(s), Secretary, Treasurer, Legislative Chair and should represent the Chinook PTSA member community and be the voice for our parents and students. Our hope is that the Nominating Committee members will have “reach” into our community to find those who will represent our families well. If you are interested in the position or know of anyone who will do a fabulous job, please contact the PTSA President.
PTSA Volunteers for 2019-2020
Dear parents of Chinook,
For years Chinook PTSA has played a very important role in many aspects of Chinook Middle School. Thanks for these parents who have great passion to help in PTSA. While we are very happy to see new parents coming, we still have some open positions in PTSA.
If you are willing to involve in any way or want to know more about the positions please feel free to contact our Presidents:
Matt Millen and Leslie Feller firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you so much!
Chinook Middle School PTSA
Donate to Chinook with AmazonSmile - It's Free and Easy to Setup
When you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice.
All you need to do is:
1) Start your shopping each time at smile.amazon.com
2) On your first visit to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), select Chinook Middle School PTSA 2 3 115 as the charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping.
3) Shop as you normally would.
That's it! Just remember that you must start your shopping at smile.amazon.com for your purchase to be eligible for donations.
For more information, visit smile.amazon.com/about
Here are some useful links:
JOIN CHINOOK PTSA
See the many benefits of joining the PTSA.
Chinook Middle School PTSA * 2001 98th Avenue Northeast, Bellevue, WA 98004 * Contact Us